Thursday, January 26, 2006

the thought of losing

I saw my dad lying on the ground. His eyes were open; its color, a combination of red and yellow. There were ants on his body, they were trekking back and forth.
.
I thought he was thirsty so I asked him, "would you like a glass of water?".
To which he replied, "I believe so. You think my doctor allows me to?"
.
I said, "Of course, your water intake is not limited anymore, unlike before when we had to measure it and limit it to only 800 mL a day." This was when he found it hard to urinate and move bowels.
So I handed him a glass filled with water and he drank it and then slept. I left.
.
After a while, I went to check him and found that he wasn't there anymore. There were marks of his body on the ground but he wasn't anymore there. I checked and checked and asked mama where he was.
.
"He died. Our neighbor buried him..."
.
I was shocked and so dismayed.
.
"You buried him without even letting us see him?"
.
"How come?"
.
"Why didn't you wait for us?"
.
I threw a lot of questions and cried like a child. I can't describe really how I felt.
.
Then I realized I was dreaming. I got up and mused the place where dad is sleeping. He's there...not moving... I slowly went closer to him.
.
"Why are you awake this early?" dad asked. I was frightened that he's awake. He said his stomach was aching and he took his pain reliever hours ago but could not sleep anymore.
.
"When are we visiting the doctor?", dad questioning again.
.
"This Saturday", I said.
.
"You think they will want me to undergo a CT-Scan? I want to see how my liver is doing."
.
"I don't know. We'll see."
.
"I sure hope, the cancer cells are gone. I hope..."
.
"Let's just pray, pa." was my reply.
.
And he nodded. My hands were on his head and I said, "Go to sleep again. It's 5:00 a.m yet."
.
And he did close his eyes as I went back to my bed and hugged my blanket.
.
I was crying. I don't know why but I seem to miss him. Strange...because he's here with us and yet I miss him.
.
Why can't I stand the thought of losing him?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUGS to you. my heart goes out to you. How terribly sad