Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Oblivious Dad

I know it happened to you. A few times, maybe.... as it happened to me.

My dad and I were arguing about something. I could not really recall what exactly it was all about. All I know was that my dad refused to listen to me, telling me that I am unfair, selfish and all that. Then I tried hard to go explain my side, but he refused to listen, he shouted in order not to hear my voice and no matter how hard I shouted too to explain myself, I was just not audible. I did go on explaining anyway. But it was all useless. No one listened to me. No one could even hear me, in the first place. And all that's left for me to do was to cry. I pity myself for that.

Until my dad had finished his murmuring about me.

And I ceased crying. Not because the hurt subsided but because my tears ran out of stock.

There was bitterness inside of me. A perfect taste of it.

It's like lightning striking me... and I didn't have the least effort to defend myself. My back ached and so did whole body.

You know the feeling? when you've been wanting to shout but none would come out? when you want to explain but you don't know where to start? when you know you are right and yet, it seemed to them that you are wrong(est)? and what they are thinking just can't be erased because, you are given no chance to explain? because they think that they are right for they are older in age?

Why wouldn't dad listen to me? Why wouldn't he allow me to explain my side?

He should have, at least, spent a minute or two to listen to what I had to say. It would be fair that way. But to scold me with words without even giving me the chance to speak my mind is so so unfair. And it turned out that I was wrong. Although, I believe deep down inside that I have the most positive motive there is.

It saddened me. It pained my heart. It's like I was stabbed at all sides. And there was nothing left for me to do but, again, cry.

Why this thing?

I know, sometimes, people will never be able to understand you unless you speak your mind. But how else can I be understood if I couldn't even hear my own voice because there was no room for me to speak?

I went to my room and cried the hardest way I could. Alas! The tears were back again.... rolling down my cheeks... gracefully as they always do.

There were a lot of questions in my head. There were so much words to say. Not a single ear to listen.

Really, when it's your loved one who hurts you, the cut is much deeper. You do not expect them to hurt you badly, that's why.
Imagine an enemy refusing to listen to you and your father refusing to listen to you. Either way, it hurts. Sure, it does. But the gravity of the hurt differs. So what if the enemy never listens? We don't really care (that much). But if the father never listens... it's a pain. Have you ever realized that?

I cried even harder when I returned to the real world.

I was just dreaming. But I make sense, right? I sure do.

And my tears? They are real... up to the moment when I had all of my senses back and activated. It seemed like everything was real... like everything really did happen.

No comments: