Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Works I Did Before

December Christmas Break.
The first employment I had was with SM Department Store. I was in my first year College then and I worked as a Sales Clerk at the Men's Shoes Department. I hated so much painting my face and lips but I had to, so I would look a little pleasant, especially to customers. I didn't like standing long hours with high-heeled sandals but I survived. At the end of each day, I would retire in bed with my legs aching. But that was something I'd like to remember for the rest of my life.

Summer Vacation.
Then, another employment at SM Supermarket as a Lady Bagger. I was supposed to be a cashier but my fear of making mistakes with money prompted me to settle being a Lady Bagger. I had to wear formal black pants and white shirt with colors on my face, as usual. I used to hit my own feet with the shopping cart's wheels and I got wounded by them almost everytime I went on arranging the carts. Unforgettable experience is during Auction for employees, wherein we got Supermarket items at the lowest possible prices, up to 80% off.

School Days.
And oh, how could I forget, being a Labandera (one who washes someone else's clothes) when I was in Fourth year College. I think , I did mention that mother did not entertain the idea of having me rent a bedspace near the university for financial reasons. When I reached my fourth year in College, I had to live with someone who had a PC, because I had to make computer programs almost everyday and I had no PC and no internet cafe's around our humble abode. I decided to live with my bestfriend in a pad so I could use her PC once she's done with her stuff. And because, the family's budget for me was low, I had to make money to cover up whatever amount was missing. I was paid P300/month for doing a boardmate's laundry and ironing them at the same time.

At the end of each payroll period, when I was working with SM, I used to bring a bag of grocery items needed at home and save a little amount for my so-called future. That's why my parents never had to give me a penny when I left for Japan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

rose I love humble beginnings! It will not only make you stronger and determined. it will also make you smile whenever you remember it once you achieve some things better in life.

if you only know my past jobs, you will call Mother Lily to make one really heartbreaking movie for me!

Rose said...

indeed ur right grace!makes me smile wn i look back and remember what i did and how i was b4. but m still an inch away from wr i was. long way to go...