Tuesday, August 08, 2006

the art of lending

I belong to a society where borrowing and lending money is normal. When I got my job, I became one of those who lend money. Sure, it's a nice feeling to be of help. We were once borrowers too.


Before lending money, I ask, without fail, when will the money be returned. Without a definite answer to this question, I do not proceed to lending the money (unless for emergency purposes).

Two months ago, there's this neighbor of ours who talked ill about the way that I do before I do lend money. She said I am so strict that I do not release any amount without making sure the money is going back to me. The gossip spreads and continues spreading and since there are more borrowers than lenders in our place, more people understand her rather than me.


Of course, I know how to give. But the borderline between giving and lending has to be clear. When I give money or food and the like, I do not expect anything in return. But when I give kindness and help, I expect kindness in return. When people come to borrow money, I expect them to know the art of giving it back.

Then, just yesterday this woman went back to our humble abode, just before I left for work, telling me and mom that she needed an amount so badly that very day for her child's school. You could imagine me, just passing by her, being very oblivious. She said lots of things, like giving me an interest and so on and so forth. Her daughter's final exam was on that same day. She couldn't take any exam without the amount. My mom asked her, "what have you been doing all this time that it's getting late?" She said things I could not understand (i.e. refused to understand). I was still. Never moved. I wanted to shout out loud, throw back the things she said against me criticizing my ways and how strict I am with money.


I shivered in anger but didn't say a word to question what she did and said in the neighborhood. My mom was the one communicating with her. I did my thing- combed my hair, clipped it, dressed up, watched myself in front of the mirror, combed my hair again and left saying I had no extra money.

I could always lend money to those who respect my ways not to those who come when in need and talk ill against me when they're done with me.


Guess, she wasn't yet done with me!


I reflected on what I did. I knew it wasn't nice of me doing it. I knew I was being mean. Then my bro-in-law uttered, "Sometimes, you have to lend them lessons too (not just money)!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe ^^ i like this one ^^

sometimes having money can be just as tough as living without it...
pero syempre I prefer to live with money ^^

Anonymous said...

talk about the extreme "rat race" that exists in our society. I can't understand how one can be so brave to be living beyond their means, to spend the money they are yet to earn!